Re: Re: Amplifone replacement is here!!

From: COLIN DAVIES <colin.w.davies_at_btopenworld.com>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 08:16:23 EDT

So that makes at least 7 or 8 needed B+W ones needed !! Ouch !!

  There must be A LOT of these monitors out there fitted to the likes of Asteroids and Battlezones. Dare I say more than the WG6100 ??

  You can measure the continuity of the HV winding by removing the HV diode and probing the cap and I think Pin 1 on the transformer base ( pin shown correctly in the schematics). Iirc it was around 20 ohms, but my memory is a bit flakey !! Obviously a much higher impedance (or infinite) shows up a problem. Mine was open circuit, and took quite a lot of patience to fashion a 'temporary' repair which seems to be failing again.

  I found that on the units I have, they all show corrosion to some extent where the wires exit the bottom of the coil and go to the base terminals - of course this might be just down to the damp weather over here.

  The wire on the 0v side of the HV winding is exposed to the air where it it soldered to a thicker lead, the wire is also bare at this point and is so thin that It really wouldnt take much for the copper to corrode, either from the air or from the solder flux itself - They look VERY fragile.

  With a little thought, this could be designed a lot better, maybe so the pins come straight out of the base instead or it sits on a little bracket (or mounts through a little hole you would drill) with flying leads comming out.

  Cheers, Colin

  edward.lutz@insightbb.com wrote:
    I've got four 802 HVT's that are bad!

  Edward