Tempest (6100) monitor help please

From: Jim Visser <jimvisser_at_kentisd.org>
Date: Wed Aug 23 2006 - 15:10:58 EDT

First time working with a 6100. I've got one fully working monitor and
one dead monitor. When I take the deflection board from the nonworking
6100 and test it in my working monitor R100 and Q100 smoke immediately.
I mistakenly thought I had a bad Q100, so bought new parts, installed
them, and tested again. Both parts smoked immediately again.
I have checked all transistors, resistors, and diodes and compared the
results with my working deflection board. They all have the same
readings or very close. I removed the larger diodes, tested, and
replaced. I checked for cold solder and reflowed all the pin
connectors. I have an lv2000, but don't want to risk ruining that until
I have the problem fixed. Upon checking everything one more time I
noticed the PTC is loose and I can almost pull it out of the solder.
Could this loose ptc be causing Q100 to short? Anything else I can
check to be safe?
Thank you for any tips