Re: Arghhhhhhhhhh!

From: Jess Askey <jess_at_askey.org>
Date: Sun Aug 27 2006 - 20:58:19 EDT

I did this exact same thing on a G-07 Raster monitor about 20 years ago.
The method I used is still going strong on mine....

If you can still actually get to the tip of the broken pin the glass, I
used a fine tipped soldering iron to tin the end of the pin in the
glass. Then, I tinned the end of the broken pin. Holding the pin with a
pair of needlenose pliers, I held the pin in position while applying
heat with the iron on the pin. Once I felt the solder melt and the pin
slightly push inwards with the slight pressure from the pliers, I held
steady and took off the heat. This worked very well for me and I then
put some epoxy around the base of the pin to support it better.

Now, there are some inherent dangers in this I suppose (I was only 17
when I did this). My pin was a bit below the glass, so I just sort of
ground down the glass edges with my soldering iron tip in a drilling
fashion until my tip hit the broken pin base.

I was of course doing this with my head turned and eyes closed for
safety purposes. ;-)