RE: Re[2]: VECTOR:Re: Obscure Battlezone AVG board fault

From: Phil Morris <arcaderelics_at_irongiant.org.uk>
Date: Tue Aug 29 2006 - 19:34:27 EDT

> >Have tried a known good PROM and the problem returns.
>
>Fight between a data line and one of the PROM outputs via a solder whisker?
>
>Alex

Could be - I've now replaced the PROM socket but the fault remains.
However, by lifting the pins on the PROM one at a time (I've temporarily
piggy-backed some sockets so I don't wear out the new socket and won't
break the PROM pins) I've found that lifting pins 4, 6, 7, 10, 13, 14
(either one will do) the problem goes away. These all connect to the LS174
L7 so thought I'd replace that - didn't make any difference though. I need
to do some more experimenting, but a quick test reveals that lifting pins 2
or 1 on the LS174 also stops the fault occurring. I haven't tried lifting
any more pins yet on the LS174, think I need some sleep before I continue!

Makes me think that the fault lies 'downwind' of the PROM and the LS174
............. which would be the Vector Generator Output section, although
surely not ........... ?

Phil