Re: Re: Star Wars Self-Test

From: Kenneth Sumrall <ksumrall_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Fri Sep 08 2006 - 14:26:34 EDT

With all the time you've wasted piggybacking chips, and agonizing over the self
test, it would have been _MUCH_ faster to just get the $10.49 Radio Shack
desoldering iron, part # 64-2060, and you'd have an answer already. Yeah
it's a radio shack tool, but this one is actually pretty good. :-) Just
let it heat up a good 10 to 15 minutes before you use it. Squeeze the
bulb, press the hollow tip over the pin and onto the pad, when you see
the solder melt, wait 1 or 2 more seconds for the heat to go all the way
through the board, then stop squeezing the bulb and pull the iron away.
Squeeze the bulb hard over a trash can to eject the solder you just sucked,
and repeat the process.

Or get a good pair of diagonal cutters. The cheap bulky cutters suck at
cutting out chips, but a good pair will have the chip cut out in about
1 minute, and then you can use a small needle nose pliers and a standard
soldering iron to pull each pin 1 at a time, then either desoldering braid
or a solder pullit (believe it or not, Radio Shack also has an excellent
spring loaded desoldering tool, # 64-2098 for only $7.99).

If they don't have Radio Shack in Britain, I'm sure you can find similar tools
at any decent electronics shop.

___
Ken