Re: Still having eprom troubles (looking for a programmer now)

From: Kenneth Sumrall <ksumrall_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 16:48:32 EDT

I have a Willem that I bought on eBay for about $50. You can't
beat it for price/performance. I also programs a whole bunch of
modern micro-controllers with internal flash, which is great for
new hobby projects. :-) However, I wouldn't recommend it as
a first programmer. The software that it came with tells how to
set _MOST_ of the jumpers for the selected chip, but it doesn't
mention setting Vcc to a higher voltage when burning EPROMs. The docs
were very sparse. Luckily, I found the message boards at www.willem.org,
and learned all about setting the jumpers to raise Vcc when burning
EPROMs. Also, be careful _WHICH_ version of the Willem you buy, if you
are so inclined, as earlier versions had issues with the power supply
not being able to provide enough current to program NMOS EPROMs. I
have a Willem 3.5 design, but the transistors in the power supply have
been upgraded (by the board manufacturer) to handle the current loads
needed by NMOS EPROMs. It can all get very confusing figuring out
exactly what kind of Willem you have, as the design is PD, and it is
made by many folks. Mine came from SE Asia, IIRC.

Also, the willem can not read or write any bipolar PROMs, 25xx EPROMs,
or the 2708 EPROM. Some of these chips are somewhat common in old
arcade games.

I don't have a Pocket Programmer 2, but I read up on it after seeing it
mentioned on this list. It looks like a nice little unit for $180. You
can even buy an adapter to program many bipolar PROMs, but that costs
another $150, and only burns 16 pin PROMs. :-( There is mention of the
transtronics website about home made adapters to burn some 20 pin PROMs.

Luckily, I have access to a TopMax, so I think I'll stick with my Willem for
now, and borrow the TopMax when I need to burn PROMs.

___
Ken