Re: Vector: Cinematronics monitor - half screen problem

From: Lewis D'Aubin <ldaubin_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 21:58:28 EST

bruce.gettel@myactv.net wrote:
> Is it possible that the xistor tests good out of circuit because it's not
> under "load"? Could it be breaking down once voltage hits it? Did you
> try replacing it even though it tested OK?

Yeah, I did... well, I didn't have new ones but did have spare ones from
a third 'parts' board. I desoldered a bunch, and took the best three
for Q201, 202 and 203. I did notice some of them had gotten some stress.

Maybe I should remove parts further down the line and just test that way
without a load?

Guess if NOTHING else works I could just start swapping parts between
the X and Y axes, but it's really tough to work on the monitor without a
test rig (it has to be fully disconnected, moved, and reconnected for me
to do any soldering alterations it) I was hoping that I could quickly
zero in on the problem with a scope and a VOM but here we are after
three days and I'm still scratching my head. *sigh*

                                                        -Lewis