Battlezone....almost there....

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 20 2007 - 02:21:31 EDT

Have been working on this Bzone on and off..Got some
chips from Arcadechips (slice processors and dacs),
and even though reprogrammed all eproms, grounded
watchdog and replaced all of clock section...could get
no life out of pcb.

I was picking up 4 more games today and managed to
talk the guy out of a Bzone pcb in a fire-damaged
cabinet. When I got home, I tried it in my cabinet. It
didn't run, but I actually got a spot in center of the
monitor which I did not have before with previous pcb.
So I decided to try a test, and put on the save game
kit I have which is also a eprom replacement to
eliminate those chips. Well when I put it on I finally
saw life! Everything looked ok from back. But it
wasn't....

When I went around the front, the mountains seemed
close to being correct, but there were spider web
vectors all over...nothing was moving though. All of a
sudden there was an explosion sound, and the game over
tune and it was like the game resetted...but this time
the attract was moving and looked better...no
spiderwebs. BUT, the pyramids seem to be streched high
to top of screen, and the blocks seem to be squished
flat with the ground plane and are basically 3 or 4
parallel lines lying together..I cannot see any enemy
tanks.

-If I leave it like that, it will all of a sudden
explode like you were shot, then play the tune and go
to high-score entry screen...but you cannot enter in
initials...

-if I coin up, it will explode and do the high-score
initials screen in about 5 seconds...If I push the
start button it will make the explode sound and go to
that screen right away.

When it is on that screen (initials) the extra tanks
go off the screen (6 or so). The other odd thing is
the players score, and the high score at the top of
screen are: 53FF000

Anyone know where to look first? I swapped out the
smaller pcb with my other one and the game functioned
the same so it must be on the main pcb...