more 6100 issues

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun May 27 2007 - 21:02:48 EDT

I just got in a Star Wars. The amplifone has a dead
red...so the guy had taken that monitor out and put in
a 6100 out of a space duel. I got the amp off him for
50$ and it is in 'very' nice shape with hardly any
burn at all.
The 6100 in the SW was working very well with
convergence and colrs better than all my others. The
only issue it had was every now and then the screen
would flicker a bit brighter (the black would go
lighter all over..not colors) then go back to normal.
So I had played my fill of it for a while and thought
I should start to clean up my area and get orignal amp
back in, and get tempest finished off.. I cleaned up
the amp, pulled out the 6100 and put the amp in the SW
to await the new flyback.

I decided to throw some caps in the 6100 since it was
out, and put it in my tempest which has been sitting
monitorless for months. I had a spare zanen kit so got
to work. But I noticed that a couple of the caps were
FAR out from what was in the deflection and HV area.
But I could see that it looked like it had been
re-capped at some point in time so perhaps the initial
person had put in wrong stuff. I check most of the
caps I pull and some were off big time from their own
values.

When done, I put behind my Tempest, hooked everything
up and turned it on. Tempest came up, but only the top
half...The bottom half of the screen was compressed
into a bright line. This board was bought tested and
working, and I had had it working prior a few months
ago fine.. But I thought maybe something on the
Tempest board was fried. I walked a way for a minute,
and when I came back the whole screen was filled with
the game..but one part on the side was messed up. So I
went into the crosshatch screen and it was very messed
up. The bottom of the screen had a huge warp to it. I
turned the pots but there was no way I could make the
crosshatch go into that area (within about an inch of
the edge of the screen. It would just compress against
an invisible line. There was an issue with one of the
sides as well. All the diamonds were odd...some small,
some large.

I had no clue what was going on so I took the monitor
and moved it behind the Star Wars since that game had
been working perfectly with it except for that small
issue, hooked it up and turned it on.
For some reason now the same end of the monitor is
screwed up. But when it is playing, the vectors are
not just compressed or warped...they are messed up as
well..

http://www.contoursurveys.com/arcade/sw1.JPG

you can see on the left (what was the bottom in
tempest), its like the side is folded onto itself..the
stars along the edge go side to side and all
directions..I'm not sure if 3,5,7 initials are
supposed to look like that.

http://www.contoursurveys.com/arcade/sw2.JPG

When the green text is scrolling up, the letters on
the left side are compressed.

http://www.contoursurveys.com/arcade/sw3.JPG

This screen you can really see how the text is screwed
up on the left side. But even towards the bottom and
in the middle there are issues with the text.

All I replaced were caps, and the 2 large 2w
resistors. Anyone have a clue what is happening here?