Re: Videogames Turn 40 Years Old from 1UP.com

From: Ray Ghanbari <ray_at_ghanbari.com>
Date: Wed May 30 2007 - 14:35:06 EDT

10+ years ago, I had one of those life defining experiences when I placed "Spacewar!" for the first time.

It was running in a Java-based PDP-1 emulator inside of internet explorer (a PDP-1 running in a browser!)

The browser was running on a remote multi-user Citrix NT box and displaying on my NEXTSTEP box (running on Intel PC hardware!) through an X windows emulator.

The shear number of abstraction levels that were required for me to experience Spacewar! was amazing, and spoke to how far computing had come since the first PDP-1

I'm definitely looking forward to visiting the museum next time I'm in the bay area.

Ray