Re: Tempest twisting images...

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Sun Aug 05 2007 - 21:22:26 EDT

At 12:21 PM -0700 7/27/07, Zonn wrote:
>On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:16:25 -0700, John Robertson <pinball@telus.net> wrote:
>
>>OK, now have another Tempest c/t in the shop, with the same !@#$!@#$
>>twisting of the image between players and when the "TEMPEST" name
>>comes up. I HAVE installed the H1 Eprom (.318) version that displays
>>the copyright info, but the picture still twists the left side of the
>>word "TEMPEST" once it is full size and in white.
>>
>>Heck, the game works fine, and I do not have enough hours to
>>troubleshoot something the customer is not complaining about.
>>
>>Oh, the machine does have the rev 2 ROMs (2716s) installed and the
>>checksums match the notes on this problem. The monitor does not have
>>the input protection board either.
>>
>>John :-#(#
>
>If your deflection board is a P324 (or P327?), or any board that has
>the diodes
>806 through 808 installed, just lift one leg of each of those diodes (806-808)
>and the problem will go away.
>
>It was a really bad attempt at a protection circuit that adds a bit of
>non-linearity to the input amplifiers.
>
>-Zonn

Thanks Zonn, that might well be it. I was away for a week and will
check this out Tuesday...
My staff did try the boardset in another Tempest c/t while I was away
and there was NO problem with collapsing, so it is in the monitor. I
will attempt to capture a good picture of the collapse for posterity
(my video tips pages)

John :-#)#