Re: Re[2]: Amplifone rebuild kit

From: Brent <newsgroup5_at_brentradio.com>
Date: Sat Aug 11 2007 - 05:17:59 EDT

Is the Ampifone FAQ online somewhere?

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Andre Huijts
  To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org
  Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 1:17 AM
  Subject: Re: VECTOR: Re[2]: VECTOR: Amplifone rebuild kit

  Mmmm, I actualy think the mica and silicone is a better and longer lasting cooling option then thermal pads.
  The Amplifone FAQ already suggest to replace the rubber thermal pads used with mica and thermal grease on the existing power regulators and transistors, because the rubber can deteriorate. Also the pads have a worse heat conduction compared to the mica/grease.

  Even so, I have to say that both the rubber pads and the mica/grease on my Amplifone PCB's look to be fine still.

  I have no problems replacing parts on the PCB's, even if it's just a precaution and I did so on the HV PCB, but I don't see a point in blindly replacing all kind of parts that are still fine and are not subject to deterioration. I want to know that there is a reason for replacing parts on a good working PCB.

  Another thing along that line: The amplifone FAQ suggest to add a fan near the HV board. Now, I've checked the temperatures of the various parts after it run for about half an hour. The only things that get really warm are R20 and R21 (the 5W, 50 Ohms resistors). The Cinelabs HVT keeps very cool. The BU406D keeps amazingly cool as well.
  The 7824 and 7924 seem to be loaded pretty much, but then they have the largest cooling body I've ever seen for these kind of power regulators. I am thinking of replacing the wire-wound ceramic 5W resistor I use now with aluminum 10W types that can be mounted on a cooling body. I'd mount them to the 7824/7924 cooling body so they can dissipate the heat much better.

  Then, I think, there would be no need for forced cooling.

  The thing that really gets hot is the deflection PCB ! I think cooling that with a fan would make much more sense...

  Op 11-aug-2007, om 3:57 heeft peter jones het volgende geschreven: