Re: Re[2]: Re[2]: Amplifone rebuild kit

From: <jameshagen_at_charter.net>
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 17:45:47 EDT

Artic Silver?!? Gack!

I had once taken in a 4900 chassis for repair... the owner of the chassis had used Artic silver between the mica pad , HOT and chassis.

This was several years ago I cant recall if the fuse kept blowing or if the chassis just went into shutdown but either way I could find nothing wrong with this chassis.
Finally I wiped off all of the Artic Silver and replaced it with a regular white heatsink grease. Problem solved.

In hindsight, maybe it was bad placement of the mica insulator originally causing the problem... although with power off I was not getting an ohms reading between the HOT and chassis....

I've thought about trying Artic silver on a different chassis HOT just to see if the problem replicates. AFAIC at this point, it's *conductive* !!!

James Hagen