RE: Re: bzone problem

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Sep 23 2007 - 10:58:30 EDT

--- Alex Yeckley <ayeckley@elektronforge.com> wrote:

> > 99% of the time it's a socket.
>
> If it's an "L" or an "H" error, then I'd say 40%
> chance it's a socket and
> 40% chance it's an ALU, and 20% chance it is
> "other".
>
> If it's a "T" error then my odds are:
>
> 30% chance socket
> 0% chance POKEY
> 30% chance ALU
> 20% chance PROM
> 10% chance damaged trace/other mechanical cause
> 10% glue logic problem
>
> Alex
> ----
> ayeckley@elektronforge.com
> www.elektronforge.com

OK..finally got some time to get back to this. I have
one full working set to test this stuff with. I have 2
aux boards with issues.

BoardA- Board that does not show playfield objects,
tanks, bullets, has geometry linearity offset to the
right, fuzzy dot in center, no enemy dot in radar and
gets confused about enemy position (even though you
cannot see dot..example, turn right to enemy then all
of a sudden it says enemy is behind you which is
impossible).- Gives an 'L' error on selftest.

BoardB- Looks to run fine. when coined up immediately
startsup on its own, there is rapid firing and
controls do not work. This board all of a sudden would
not start..narrowed that down to B/C2 socket.- Gives a
T error on selftest.

1st thing I did was replace the 137004 bitslice chips
with the new ones from arcadechips (2901). For some
reason with these new chips, the game doesn't even
power up..put old ones back in and it works, but with
the problems... I took all the large chips out of the
working board and tested in both other boards with no
difference..so I have eliminated the chips, but not
the sockets.

So my question is, do any of those errors point to a
'particular' socket being bad?

Which chip is the 'pokey'?.. for some reason I had
always thought the bitslice chips were pokeys.