Re: Rebuilding a cabinet

From: Scott Caldwell <scottcaldwell_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed Sep 26 2007 - 14:44:24 EDT

Hasn't all of the artwork, except for the monitor surround, been reproed for that cabinet? Check phoenixarcade, arcadeshop and arcade renovations. It seems like the Midway cabinets lasted better than the Atari cabinets. As for restoration, one options is to sand the sides and wood fill any gouges, then reapply thin vinyl to the sides (artwork can go on top of vinyl if it's laid down correctly). The full sized Atari side-art is the vinyl, but the cabinet sides need to be super smooth (same with Midway). Scott C. ----- Original Message ---- From: EvilJim <eviljim13_at_comcast.net> To: VectorList <vectorlist_at_vectorlist.org> Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2007 1:20:57 PM Subject: VECTOR: Rebuilding a cabinet Morning all - So, from all my experience so far, arcade uprights were made from particle board. That same experience has shown that once wetted, PB becomes crumbling junk once dry again. Even before it has dried, if any soaking has occurred. Time itself does not seem to help this stuff, especially in an environment like the PacNW, hardly any of it is still smooth just from the moisture in the air. I need to rebuild a cabinet and wanted to see if there was any consensus on what to use when doing so. Was PB really the best product, or was it just cheap? If I were to go to something else, would I be looking at plywood or some other sheet product? Aside from the aging PB issues, this cab also appears to have been butchered in a few ways over its life and given the other damage/issues on the interior, I am planning on creating a new cabinet, top to bottom, front to back. Warning, non-Vector content: The game in question is a Tron (sorry if some of you already read this on the other list), and if any of you also own one of these, I would love any info you might be able to share on dimensions, repro art and any leads on good, solid, empty cabinets in the Puget Sound region are welcome as well. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ** Unsubscribe, subscribe, or view the archives at http://www.vectorlist.org ** Please direct other questions, comments, or problems to chris_at_westnet.com