Re: Possibly the weirdest Tempest problem yet.

From: Matt Rossiter <matt_at_rossiters.com>
Date: Sat Dec 08 2007 - 02:07:12 EST

 I never did notice there was a short on the Mathbox. It worked
after I finshed joining the legs together. I did, however, find a
solder bridge between pins 18 and 19 of J19 on the Mainboard which
connects to the Mathbox. I think someone tried to resolder the pins
and pushed too much solder through. The solder bridge was underneath
the plastic of the connector so it was pretty tricky to find.

 Matt
 On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:42:30 -0800, John Robertson wrote: Matt J.
McCullar wrote: Speaking as a fellow service tech, I'd have to go
along with Alex's response. Sounds to me like someone was trying to
isolate a shorted power bus. Look very carefully at that mathbox
board for something that has been replaced in the past... such as a
bypass cacitor or something else that could short the +5 volt bus and
ground together. Avoid spikes! Matt J. McCullar
Someone needs a Short Squeak! Great little tool for finding bus
shorts... It works by using a changing tone
to tell when you are
closer to the short, works in the milliohm range...
 John :-#)#