catbox

From: andre <livnfree_can_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat May 10 2008 - 13:13:21 EDT

I have been reading all morning to try and find
something to simplify troubleshooting pcb's for
myself. I have no electronics background other than
learning as I go so whenever someone says 'buy a
scope'.. thats probably not gonna help me much.

So I was looking at the Atari catbox which seems to
have been designed for people with no real electronics
background.... but 'many' posts just say to get a
hp5004a instead. I have tried to find more info on the
HP, but have not been very successful. Looking at the
front of the unit, there does not seem to be a whole
lot of things to be able to set. So I am wondering,
using the Gravitar manual as an example, does the HP
manual clearly explain how to (for instance);

a. TESTER MODE: SIG
b. TESTER SELF-TEST: OFF
C. PULSE MODE: LATCHED
D START: Negative-going edge trigger
e. STOP: Negative-going edge trigger
f. CLOCK: Negative-going edge trigger

or for the ram,

DBUS SOURCE: ADDR
BYTES: 1024
Enter address 0000 with the keyboard~(HP doesn't have
a keyboard?)
SET R/W MODE to PULSE and back to (OFF)..

and on and on.. How would I know what was a comparable
thing to set on the HP? The above are just examples of
things that I picked out that I can't find anything
remotely the same on the HP.. When people talk about
it, they make it sound retty simple to use on in place
of a CAT but it doesn't seem so... Is this all in the
manuals with the 5004a?