Re: Spinner Replacement for Omega Race

From: Bill Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Fri Aug 01 2008 - 15:04:33 EDT

Yes, thank you. That is for the AVR series of microcontrollers. Most
manufacturers provide free assemblers, compilers, design environments, and
other resources for the microcontroller products. With regards to the
software license fee, I was referring specifically to CPLD/FPGA devices.
Atmel provides free legacy software for their so-called "simple" CPLD series
such as compilers for Abel and Synario (& Cupl?). The software for the
advanced CPLD/FPGA products (that supports VHDL/Verilog/State
Machine/Schematic) is not free for the full version. On the plus side, the
chips are inexpensive and the USB Jtag programming cable-pod is very
reasonably priced (and is comparable in price to the Xilinx similar
device.). I own both the Atmel and Xilinx USB in-circuit programmers but I
haven't tried the Atmel yet since my focus is presently on Xilinx. I have
no doubt that the Atmel products are excellent but my brain can only absorb
so much at a time.

William Boucher