Re: G08 focus going in and out

From: Bill Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Mon Aug 04 2008 - 12:26:26 EDT

I haven't worked on a GO8 but I have repaired several WG6100 systems. On my
Space Duel, I had the same symptoms that you are describing a couple of
times. The first time, there was a bad voltage regulator in the 7815/7915
pair on the game board. That made the picture fuzzy and bounce up & down in
size. The second time, the positive supply to the HV box was shorted out by
an incorrectly mounted transistor (tab shorted to box) and that made the
picture way too huge, really blurry, and the size was jittery. So in one
instance, it was the game board and in the other it was the monitor.

If possible, check for a cracked core in the HVT. Focus problems are linked
to incorrect voltage at the anode, the focus grid, or both. Check the
positive and negative supply to the HV section. Make sure that the ground
is reliable.

William Boucher