RE: repair shops to send vector monitors...

From: Alex Yeckley <ayeckley_at_elektronforge.com>
Date: Wed Sep 10 2008 - 10:36:05 EDT

>I'm not worried about the shipping...it's just a matter of time.

But don't forget - whoever you ship it to has to charge for their time to
re-pack everything once the repairs are complete. It can effectively double
the cost of a repair. Re-using the packing is frequently not an option
either, since it usually gets destroyed during the initial shipping. So now
the repair company has to provide new boxes and packing materials.

For us, it just got to be too big of a headache so we stopped doing monitor
repairs unless they are dropped off and picked up in person. We add value
by making repairs, not by shipping and receiving. I guess most other shops
have reached the same conclusion, since I can't think of anyone (in the
vector monitor business, at least) who does whole-monitor-shipped repairs on
a retail basis. There are probably some hobbyists out there who will do it
on a limited basis, and there are a couple of places who will do board-only
repairs.

If you do find someone, they will probably become very popular in a hurry,
and then eventually stop doing it after it gets to be too much of a drain.
That's been the pattern I've noticed over the last ten years anyhow.
YMMV...

No harm in asking around, of course -- I'm just theorizing on why it's not
easy to find shops to do what you are asking.

Alex

----
ayeckley@elektronforge.com
www.elektronforge.com