Re: Asteroids proper grounding and monitor DC reg bug.

From: Pat Danis <patdanis_at_verizon.net>
Date: Sun Sep 14 2008 - 22:15:18 EDT
I really have been trying to follow this conversation but my head is swimming.  Could someone please sum up what they consider the best course of action is in grounding a vector game in layman's terms.  ....I knew I should have stuck to my EE major.

Pat Danis

js@cimmeri.com wrote:

Colin, you want to end up with single point termination
to chassis ground for each power supply source that has its own floating ground .. not multiple points.   Although we're working on similar power bricks, I'm not sure if and where your Tempest / 6100 monitor normally gets its chassises grounds from as I've never worked on one.  Check your harness and schematics.

However, if Tempest has a chassis ground further down the chain, and you add one in the brick, then you're creating a great big ground loop.   Ground loops can create various problems.   I think you're better off tying each power source to earth ground close to where its actually used... that way, the grounds will be level relative to each other, amongst themselves.   Tying all grounds to earth in the brick could lead to varying grounds further down the chain.

Remember the existence of resistance.

JS

Colin Davies wrote:
I was considering connecting the 0V on the big blue to the power brick chassis earth (on the Tempest) , is this a good or bad idea ?

I was then going to do some kind of Star point, as you and John suggest.

Cheers, Colin