Re: Asteroids proper grounding and monitor DC reg bug.

From: Pat Danis <patdanis_at_verizon.net>
Date: Mon Sep 15 2008 - 01:28:35 EDT
Got it.  Thanks for the idiot's guide to grounding.  Now I understand completely.

Pat Danis

Matt J. McCullar wrote:

I[Matt J. McCullar]
It's really simple.  To prevent weird things from happening, just make sure that each major piece of the game has only one ground connection.  If you have more than one cable connecting two points, not only is that redundant, but currents can start flowing where you don't want them to.

Think of a bicycle wheel with all the spokes.  Remove the outer rim so that all the spokes fan out in a star pattern.  If we consider the central hub to be our main ground connection, and the end of each spoke to be a different piece of our game cabinet (motherboard, video monitor, etc.), then each spoke has one and ONLY ONE way to connect to ground.  If the outer rim were in place, then currents would start flowing between one or more spokes on their own... and we don't want that.

I really have been trying to follow this conversation but my head is swimming.  Could someone please sum up what they consider the best course of action is in grounding a vector game in layman's terms.  ....I knew I should have stuck to my EE major.