Re: Re: Omega Race - picture noise?

From: Zonn <mlists_at_zonn.com>
Date: Fri Nov 28 2008 - 18:16:45 EST

Lewis D'Aubin wrote:
>> I have run several boardsets and all have that faint squiggle look to
>> the
> lines with the noise exactly like you are mentioning.
>
> Wow, so this is yet another instance where the Zektor ZVG just blows
> away the original game's image! (those of you who haven't checked it
> out yet REALLY need to, it's pretty amazing, esp. if you can't afford
> the space or money for all those great vector games.)
>
> I also brought up before the random small vectors drawing and others said
> there machine does it as well.
>
> I guess Midway just wasn't in the vector biz long enough to iron out
> all the bugs. Thanks for the info! It's reassuring to know that this
> machine's at least operating at factory spec.

Omega race uses a digital vector generator (DVG). It's very similar to
the original Atari DVG used in Asteroids. It doesn't draw smooth lines,
but instead draws a series of dots on a 1024x768 array. The staircase
results are similar to a 1024x768 raster monitor -- though better than a
raster, because the dots are connected, while on a raster monitor the
scan lines don't always overlap, leaving gaps in the vectors. Vector
monitors are also much brighter.

The ZVG uses an analog vector generator (a much improved version of the
Cinematronics vector generator), a smooth analog voltage is used to
connect the to endpoints of a vector, so there are no stair stepping
effects.

It makes for much cleaner vectors than the DVG of the Omega race, but on
the other hand it's not a perfect emulation of the jagged vectors of a DVG.

-Zonn