Re: Space Duel PCB weirdness

From: <solarfox_at_triluminary.net>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 23:56:11 EST

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:19:50 -0600, you wrote:

>Not at all - the processor pins just stop. It really is baffling me - I'm
>looking to get a logic analyzer here sometime this week - I think it's the
>only way to really see what the processor is doing. Unless you have a trick
>up your sleeve? :)

Mmm... personally, I think a logic analyser may be overkill (although if
you happen to have one lying around that you can borrow, more power to ya!
:) ), at least until you've scoped or logic-probed out some of the simpler
possibilities, such as:

        (1) Check pin 6 (NMI*) of the 6502; make it isn't floating or stuck
low. According to the schematic, NMI* should be held permanently high
(along with pin 2 (READY) and pin 38 (SO)) through the 1K resistor at R19.

        (2) Pin 4 (IRQ*) is fed from pin 11 of the 74LS00 @ L3, which also
connects back to pin 10 of the 74LS161 counter @ J4. This counter is
driven by a 3KHz clock at pin 2; make sure this clock is present, and that
the LS161's CLEAR* signal at pin 1 isn't stuck low.

>The watchdog barks, so I disabled it

        (3) *How*, exactly, did you disable it? Make sure pin 40 (RESET*) at
the CPU isn't stuck low or floating...

"It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral
busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may
at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will
torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their
conscience." --- (C. S. Lewis)