RE: CRT tint masks

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Feb 04 2009 - 23:58:59 EST

> Some of the Electrohome G08 monitors came with a tinted
> formed plastic mask over the tubes. Anyone know if there's a
> place you can get these from? I was thinking about using
> something like this to hide the burn-in on some of my vector
> tubes (and raster tubes). Another idea was to take a thin
> sheet of tinted plastic and a heat gun and seeing if I could
> form one over a tube.

I never tried it, but I always thought that getting some theater lighting
'gels' could work well.

For example:
http://www.stagelightingstore.com/s.nl?it=A&id=7564&sc=25&category=62258

They're mostly polycarbonate, so they should thermoform easily. Maybe just
heat 'em up in an oven and drap them over the front of a warm CRT-- brush
out any creases or bubbles? (or the opposite, take an old tube with the
vaccum blown and heat up the glass and just drap the plastic sheet over the
face and work it)

In the past I've just got some window-tint from the auto-parts store and
applied it directly to the face of the CRT. It's sufficiently "stretchy"
that it still sits flat on the curve of the tube...

-Clay