RE: Hope for your old, yellow, Star Trek sitdowns

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 02:53:48 EST

> I was just reading a thread on the KLOV forums the other day
> about Star Trek sitdown restorations. One guy used a "tub
> and tile re-finishing" product.
> The results look great.

Hahah... Funny you should mention that-- I was actually thinking about
getting the local "Miracle Method" people look at my machine when they come
out to do our old shower. (I assume that's a national chain, but if not--
it's an outfit that will refinish your existing bathroom sinks, showers,
tubs, etc. with a smooth, white, porcelain looking finish in one day. I
assume it has a little flex additive in it to keep from cracking since it
works on fiberglass showers, etc.) My machine is actually one of the better
looking ones I've seen, but it's still a little off-white.

The neat thing about the process with the peroxide/oxi/uv method is that in
theory it's literally only stripping the bromide from the outer layer of
plastic, so there's really no loss of material or alteration of the plastic
to speak of. OTOH, I guess if you tried the 'retr0bright' method and didn't
like the results there's no harm done and you can always paint over it if
need be. I figure an autobody shop could do a nice job with a good oil
based paint too if you took 'em the parts too...

-Clay