Re: scope to buy

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Wed May 20 2009 - 19:11:27 EDT

Dunno how familiar you are with Cine games but be aware that vector games
based on the CCPU are usually troubleshooted at the CCPU board first, then
the monitor second. A good Cine monitor can't really do anything without a
working CCPU. The CCPU doesn't output vector video signals at all so the
only place there is to connect an XY scope is to the analog section of the
monitor after the DAC's. Failure to see a picture there doesn't tell you if
the problem is in the monitor or the CCPU or in the 34-conductor ribbon
cable however. Seeing a good picture there only would indicate that the
problem is in the deflection amps, the beam control circuit, the yoke, the
wires going to the crt socket or the crt itself, or the HV box.

On the off chance that my webpages will be slightly useful in some way with
respect to Rip Off (same hardware as Star Castle obviously)...

My setup for repairing CCPU boards...
http://www.biltronix.com/cinexor.html

A Star Castle restoration story...
http://www.biltronix.com/star_castle.html