Re: converting War Of The Worlds to color?

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Sat May 30 2009 - 13:07:05 EDT

I read somewhere a long time ago that the WOTW game included color information in the program. That may be true or not but the only actual color version of the game that I've heard about runs on vector-Mame because someone wrote new code for a "color overlay" for that game.

I also know that the sound boards were all originally Star Castle boards and I have the conversion procedure written by Zon (I could send it if you want it but I'm sure it's all over the internet).

However, converting the WOTW game to actually run in color would be very challenging, especially since the wg6100 is a monitor with analog inputs and the Cine is a monitor with digital inputs. The first thing you would have to do is either build a compatible digital-to-analog converter (like what is on the Cine monitor chassis) or you'd have to take the final analog signals off of the Cine chassis and run them through an adapter (for buffering and scaling of X, Y, Z) and finally into the wg6100. Even if you did that, you'd only get a single color. To get color, there would have to be color output data from the CCPU and if there is, you'd need a new circuit to process that data and use it to direct the X/Y signals to the proper color inputs R/G/B on the wg6100 monitor. I don't know about you, but there are a lot of "if"s in there so I don't think it would be worth the trouble. The first question would have to be "does the WOTW code include color information?". If it doesn't, the discussion is pointless.

It is common to convert games between Amplifone, WG, and Sega GO8, but they are all color and they are all analog. Although there are some simple differences to deal with, they are all basically just different kinds of apples. The Cine is an orange, or maybe a Cineapple.

William Boucher