Re: converting War Of The Worlds to color?

From: Joseph Magiera <joemagiera_at_ameritech.net>
Date: Sun May 31 2009 - 09:50:18 EDT

Joseph Magiera wrote:
> Has anyone ever determined exactly how to convert a War Of The Worlds from a standard Cinematronics b/w digital monitor to a WG6100 monitor?  I have an extra color converter board and I'd like to give it a try.  Thanks,
>
> Joe

Hey Joe,

Just plug the B&W WOTW CCPU board into the color converter board, and plug the color converter board into the WG6100.  That's all I did and ended up will the Wonderful (War of  the) World of Color.

-Zonn

Zonn,

Can you provide a little more info on this?  Something is missing.  My WOTW is a Star Castle conversion.  Just plugging in the color converter board is not so simple.  There are 3 connections on the converter board to care for:

1) ribbon cable connection - when using a Cine monitor, the ribbon cable went from the main board to the monitor.  With the converter board, the ribbon cable goes from the main board to the converter board.  Ok, not a big deal.

2) the connection to the WG6101 monitor - goes from the converter board to the WG6101 monitor.  Ok, not a big deal.

3) The connection to power the converter board.  This is the one that's missing from the Star Castle cabinet wiring.  What did you do for this?  Did you just replace a WOTW main & sound board in a Boxing Bugs cabinet/wiring harness (which already has the converter board and proper wiring)?  Or something else, like hacking the Star Castle wiring harness?

Lastly, what about your main board?  If you use the color ROMs, is there anything else that needs to be done to/for/on the main board?  Someone is trying to tell me that to use color, an additional chip needs to be populated on the main board that is not present.  I mean the location on the board is there, but you'd need to add a socket and proper chip.

I guess I could just plug the WOTW main board into the Boxing Bugs, but a buddy of mine tried that and he said it blew his main board (which just doesn't sound right).  I'd rather not do that until someone can confirm one way or another.

Thanks for any info.  Wish I had taken pics of the inside of the proto I saw years ago!

Joe