Amplifone neck socket spark gap?

From: Douglas Gauck <douglas_at_gauck.com>
Date: Thu Jun 18 2009 - 11:56:49 EDT

I am continuing my effort to build a 25" vector from a Zenith 25" TV
tube A63AAX01X. My HV board had the harness hacked off, so I am
considering building a neck socket from the TV's neck board. The stock
socket has resistors (not shown on the schematics) in line with focus
(1), G2 (7) and video ground (5) which would be easy enough, but
here's the Q: how important is the spark gap which is present between
DAG ground and all the CRT pins (except the heater wires)? Bonus Q:
what purpose does it serve and why is it not present on other monitors/
TVs?

-Douglas