RE: Purity assembly

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 17:24:44 EDT

Our local hardware store sells scrap black rubber by the pound (various
thicknesses up to a couple inches or so). The wedge shape isn't really
critical as long as you can get it between the yoke and CRT, so I'd maybe
try buying some rubber and just cut it into wedges with a box cutter. You
could always glue them in place with a little Gorilla Glue or something once
you like where they are. I figure that if the rubber stands up to
vulcanizing temperatures the heat around a CRT shouldn't matter.

It would also be easy to mold new ones with a high durometer two-part
silicone. Just make a little mold out of plastic, or copy an existing wedge
with a urethane rubber casting and pour the silicone into that for the
replacements. Silicones should be good up over 500F, so temp shouldn't be
an issue there but glueing them into place might be harder so a better
'wedge fit' might be important.

-Clay

  _____