Re: 6100 zener diode mod advice ?

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Oct 08 2009 - 17:08:28 EDT

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Total Impulse <totalimpulse@comcast.net>wrote:

> To rephrase my original question...
> When faced with an unmodified P314 deflection board, do people here leave
> it alone, or add the zener diode mods to it? If so, which mod do you
> install?
>
> Alan

Alan,

To answer your question, you should _not_* *install the zener diode
protection mod.

In fact, the opposite; at many times in the past, the practice around here
has been to remove (snip) the protection zeners.

If you look in the vectorlist/rgvac archives over the last 10+ years, there
are plenty of examples of people spending many hours and replacing every
part in sight, trying to fix their picture, only to find the protection
diodes were the cause. Don't be one of them.

If you run your games in an arcade or a business where it is more important
to have _a_ picture, than to have a good picture, it makes a lot of sense to
install the zeners. This is even more true if you hire people who can't
solder to fix your classic vector games. ;-)

If the game is in your house (or my house), I'm more concerned that the
picture look good, than the monitor last longer with a bad picture. If all
someone wants is _a_ picture, heck, just stick in mame running on and LCD.
Then it'll never have to be repaired!

-Mark