RE: PROM replacements, etc. (was re:Just a little show and tell)

From: Clay Cowgill <c.cowgill_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 02:59:27 EDT

> Nice! Also, Bill, I was going to suggest using a tiny CPLD
> to replace the nasty bipolar PROMs. The tables in the PROM
> should synthesize to a relatively small number of gates. You
> probably could do the same thing with Star Wars ... hell, I
> need a few myself :-)!

I haven't looked at the bit patterns in the StarWars mathbox PROMs in
*ages*, but I bet they're pretty hard to pack down since they're the
microcode for the AMD2901 bit slices...

> Clay, I didn't know you did all of these tiny little one-off
> things for Ground Kontrol :-)!
> Man I gotta get out there :-)!

That's me-- bitch about not having any free time, but then when I do I have
to go off an make some new little something or other. :-P

Too bad nobody makes like a 16V8 or 22V10 pinout compatible, 5V, DIP part
but with a modern ~72 macrocell die in it. Heheheh...

I wonder how much it'd cost to reclaim die from PLCC's and repackage 'em in
DIP? (Hmmm, time to call Jeri and bug her to get her wire bonder working.
;-)

-Clay