Re: Major Havoc pincushion question

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 19:53:28 EDT

I just recently purchased a working SD-to-MH converter board from someone on
KLOV. It is shipping to me now and it will be arriving with the full
schematic for the board. Also provided will be the schematic for the
encoder and other stuff and also the full conversion instructions, all
specific to Space Duel, not Tempest. I can scan these docs and email them
to you or post them on my site once I get my mits on them sometime a couple
of weeks from now.

I'm no expert regarding this topic so feel free to laugh at my ignorance
after I ask this... but is it possible that your monitor has the wrong yoke
for the application? If the yoke on SW corrects for pincushion and if the
converter board also does, then it would possibly be doing it twice by
applying both methods? The pictures that I've seen posted look like you
need a "reverse pincushion" or "de-correction" board, that's commonly known
as "barrel" correction. Most monitors will use just one pot to adjust the
geometry to create either the pincushion or barrel effects and you adjust
the pot until things are straight. If a correction board can be adjusted
through unity gain, assuming that unity gain does nothing, then it should be
able to either reduce pincushion or add barreling, whichever is required
depending on the overall system to produce straight line output.

Since Clay's board has a pot, I'm betting that it'll correct the problem
regardless of whether it needs to reduce or increase the gain of X through
the 1495 as Y changes (or something like that anyway). I'm sure that it'll
depend on the overall values of the gain setting resistors used on the
board.

William Boucher