Re: Fluke Forum

From: Andrew Welburn <andy_at_andysarcade.net>
Date: Fri Nov 20 2009 - 13:35:26 EST

You would be right, the 9100 is self-contained..

The 9100 is far more powerful than the 9010, but in order to run automated
tests you would need to develop the programs using the special keyboard,
video card and know-how. Or.. develop them on the pc and transfer them
serialy.. I have never hooked my 9100 up to a PC, it does everything on its
own

In short, i would imagine 90% of users are not interested in putting time
into 9100 programming and UUT troubleshooting development when there is the
more readily available 9010 out there and a suite of PC-friendly tools ready
to go! there is no such thing available for the 9100, there aren't any
off-the-shelf programs available either.

If you just want to get the cpu-side of a game pcb running, the 9010 is for
you.. if you want to develop programs that cover the entire pcb by guided
and unguided fault analysis then the 9100 and all of its accessories will be
needed plus a shitload of man-hours.

Oh, and you have to develop this on a clunky 20 year old proprietory
computer system user interface that has its own bugs and quirks, and deal
with disk operations that are.. well.. 20 years old... so its slow...

FIDE opens up the 9010 to nearly everyone, and there are a tonne of programs
out there already that you can learn from...

Get a 9100 if you are really interested in how to troubleshoot and diagnose
electronics, get a 9010 if you want to fix stuff without really knowing all
the ins and outs of why...

Andrew Welburn
www.andys-arcade.com