Re: DAC -> Op-Amp testing (was RE: TECH: Tempest PCB)

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 02:13:59 EST

David Shoemaker wrote:
> Going to resurrect a VERY old thread here.
>
> The part I have a question about is:
>
> "There are more elegant procedures for troubleshooting this if you have the
> right test equipment, but without it, it would be faster to just replace
> these components in the order given. "
>
> So I have a tempest board with no X deflection. As far as I can tell there
> is either a dead AM6012 @ A10 or a dead TL082 @A11. I come up with this
> because there is no output at pin 7 of the Tl082.
>
> But I can't be sure because when I scope pin A11:6 (from A10:18 I get a flat
> line). But I also get a flat line on the equivalent signal on the Y side
> which is working fine.
>
> So anybody know just what the "more elegant procedures" are that Joel was
> speaking of here? I assume the DAC is current mode into the first stage of
> the op amp as such there is nothing for the scope to sense and display.
>
> Thanks,
> David

One rule of thumb I used when troubleshooting XY current mode games is
to look at the output voltage of each stage. If the device has +/-15VDC
supply, then the output should be 0VDC, if the device has a +5 supply
then the output is often 2.5VDC (not always).

I don't know if that will help, but it does somewhat nail defective
TL082s as well as the MC1495s - as I recall - its been a few years since
I last fixed a Tempest output stage.

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com