Re: New to the list

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Sat Jan 09 2010 - 21:31:25 EST

I scanned and posted my original copy of the Vectorbeam Space War documentation. Get it here...
http://www.biltronix.com/space_war_01.html

Be aware that a factory original copy is not necessarily a great copy. The factory-released copies were generally poor photocopies of the original blueprints which themselves were hand drawn. Such docs got much better later with the release of other games such as Star Castle, Rip Off, and Armor Attack.

If you specifically want the Cine version, the Andy's arcade link already provided by Kevin is best.
Here is the direct link: http://arcarc.xmission.com/PDF_Arcade_Manuals_and_Schematics/Space%20Wars.pdf
I sent them my VB copy previously so you'll probably find it there also.

The major difference between the two versions of Space War/s is the monitor circuitry. For example, the VB monitor has an on-board +5V regulator and the Cine version doesn't. Also, all the part references are different. You'll notice that J2 has fewer pins on the VB version. Later Cine monitors such as the Keltron version used in Star Castle do have an onboard +5V regulator as well as other factory built-in enhancements or modifications that were suggested to be made on earlier models.

One enhancement never mentioned in common documentation (that I have seen) that I suggest that everyone add to their Cine monitors is a 1N4007 diode across pins 1 and 3 of the 7805 regulator (cathode at pin 1). All of the other regs on the board have such a diode included by they missed putting on the +5V reg. It's just a standard "to-do" thing when it comes to these regs. Alternately, you can simply replace a 7805 with an LM2940T-5.0 which doesn't require such an external protection diode.

Maybe my other pages will help somewhat...

http://www.biltronix.com/CCPU_Custom_Chip_Replacements.html
http://www.biltronix.com/star_castle.html

Be aware that the Cinematronics Star Castle schematics are about the best quality copy that is available. I can email you a good copy that has all of the CCPU signatures on it and is fully readable. Just pm me if you want.

I would offer to repair your CCPU but if it is a copy made by Sega or whomever, then I wouldn't know if the circuitry is actually all the same or not. Is the monitor in the game using the digital ribbon cable input? Is there a digital to analog converter board in between the CCPU and a monitor that has an analog input? Just wondering. If the CCPU circuitry is identical, then I should be able to repair it if it should ever come to that.

The MMI 6331 is a standard bipolar prom and works the same as other similar parts such as 74S288 or 82S123 made by other manufacturers. The data outputs are valid any time the /G pin is active (low). There's no clock input, just the enable input.

William Boucher