Re: New to the list

From: William Boucher <boucher_at_mnsi.net>
Date: Sun Jan 10 2010 - 13:20:25 EST

The pictures are really helpful. Wow, talk about an obvious bootleg. It
makes you wonder how Sega got away with it. One would expect them to have
been severely sued. I wonder if they were!

Interesting changes were made...

- The audio was integrated into the main board and thus the ribbon cable
eliminated.
- The monitor ribbon connector and cp ribbon connector and power connector
were all integrated together into an edge connector.
- There are two blank DIP16s on the logic board just like on the Cine board
but there's also the addition of five DIP prototyping patterns for the
option of hand wirinig some undefined chips in the future should there prove
to be a design problem.
- The EPROM's were replaced with bipolar PROMs. This was probably cheaper
but man, talk about development issues.
- The PCB space for the D8 & U14 exorciser DIP connections is open and
available but obviously not used. How the heck did Sega or service people
troubleshoot this darn thing? I couldn't even see an LED anywhere.

>From your pics, it appears that someone has previously replaced or reflowed
all of the PROMs at least once already. If any of them are faulty, you'll
obvioualy need the binaries. Does anyone on the vectorlist have these for
Fabrice? It never hurts to ask. Maybe you can get new chips burned at
www.arcadechips.com . Try
http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_23&products_id=68

I just have to say it... from one of your pics... that spider skeleton is
the biggest ugliest scariest dam thing I've ever seen. If I had removed the
back door and seen that, I would have s**t myself. The biggest spiders that
live around here are maybe at most 1.5" across the leg tips. That thing in
your pic is a monster.

Good luck with your project. I hope you manage to get it working.

William Boucher