Re: 74S288 Prom compatibility question

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots_at_cedar-rapids.net>
Date: Sun Jan 24 2010 - 23:02:32 EST

Unlike EPROMs, PROMs program differently from manufacturer to
manufacturer. From some manufacturers a blank part will be all zeros
and bits are programmed to ones. Other manufacturers will be the
opposite. And some Cypress parts will come up in random states when
blank and are forced to either ones or zeros as needed. Add to that
different timing and different voltages for programming and you have a
real mess.

Typically, just about everyone can handle National parts, support for
other brands vary.