Bzone Project:

From: <litterbox99_at_mchsi.com>
Date: Sun Feb 21 2010 - 00:33:01 EST

It's a bit quiet, so I guess I'll talk about
my current project I've been working on.

Bullet proofing my Bzone cabaret.

This game has been flaky since day one, but as we
all know this hobby has it's maintenance issues.

What I've done so far:

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/all.jpg

New Reproduction CP Rubbers Rings. (did this a long time ago)
New "Big Blue" cap.
New interconnect cable.
Capped monitor, HV checked, 12 KVDC and solid.
Capped Audio II Reg.

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/reg.jpg

Aux PCB: Replaced Bit Slice sockets w/machine pin sockets, added
          heat sinks to IC's.

          Replaced BiPolar sockets w/machine pin sockets & replaced
          BiPolar ROMs w/"Biltronix" Custom IC's.

http://www.biltronix.com/battlezone_2.html

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/aux1.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/aux2.jpg

Main PCB: Replaced CPU socket w/machine pin socket, added "Braze
           Technology" High Score Saver (also eliminates need for
           original game EPROM's)

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/braze.jpg

Since my upgrades, this game has been rock solid (knock on wood)
but despite caping the monitor, the vectors are not really straight.

You can look at the following pic's;

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/bz1.jpg

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/bz2.jpg

notice the "H" in 'high score' isn't complete.

http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/bz3.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/bz4.jpg
http://home.mchsi.com/~litterbox99/graphics/bz5.jpg

The vectors are not quite straight and it looks like the
drawing stroke stops early. Maybe a slew rate issue with the monitor ?
I didn't notice this with the other monitor but the HV diode
took a crap so this is a spare monitor.

Am I expecting too much ?

My Asteroids cocktail has the same monitor and the vectors are nice,
clean and full stroke.

I've tweaked the POT's on the CPU PCB for the BIP settings and got
it as close as I can. Looks like the monitor (G05-805) deflection PCB has a
few POT's for adjusting the linearity, but I haven't tried that just
yet.

Any thoughts on the monitor issue ?

Well that's enough for tonight !

Todd