Re: Star Wars Cockpit - Replacing a 25 Inch Monitor with a 19 Inch WG6100

From: Karl Doe <karlcdoe_at_yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue Jun 29 2010 - 06:20:50 EDT

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael Hubbard
  To: vectorlist@vectorlist.org
  Sent: Monday, June 28, 2010 1:28 AM
  Subject: VECTOR: Star Wars Cockpit - Replacing a 25 Inch Monitor with a 19 Inch WG6100

        Was wondering if anybody has attempted this, replacing the 25 Inch Monitor in a Star Wars cockpit wit ha WG6100? Are there any good instructions or anything like that written down for this process anywhere? or any helpful tips?

        Thanks,

        - Mike

  Hi,

  Are you referring on the best way to fit it into the cabinet as the monitors themselves are (AFAIRl) connector compatible.

  Back when you could still buy cheap Star Wars cockpits from ops here in the UK I had two that had 19" WG monitors in them. One looked like a professional conversion in that it had a wooden frame that mated between the 25" tube mouting brackects and scaled it down to a 19" mount the other someone had just bodged horribly using metal brackets from a hardware store. In both cases they needed to use an extension lead to make to orginal loom for the monitor reach the new higher location of the WG connector. Theoretically you need to make some display correction between WG and AMP monitors alkthough I seriously doubt the ops bothered.

  My guess is they had a load of 'red is dead' amps in profitable star wars and a store full of less profitable vectors gathering dust so just stole the monitors out of them. This of course explains whay I had so much trouble find a working tempest to play when I was a child :-)

  I'd only use the WG is you have nothing else available, if you have the amp then try and fix it as the cockpit looks a bit lost when you stare through that huge piece of smoked glass into a tiny 19" low res monitor off somewhere in the distance...

  Karl.