G05-802 focus issue

From: Darren Finck <dgfinck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri Jul 23 2010 - 10:22:23 EDT

OK, I'm working on the G05-802 that came in my Battlezone. I have already:
-resoldered cracked joint at header on EHT board
-replaced a bad deflection amp xistor
-replaced all of the electrolytics (except for the big 6800uF power filter caps) on both boards
-replaced the big wacky diode on the EHT cage (D904, H1809?)
-adjusted the HV to 12kV with no signal inputs

Now it works more or less fine, except...

I can't get it to focus well. I can adjust it from end to end, and there's an area in the middle where it's "best," but still nowhere near as sharp as the V2000 in my Asteroids. I've checked the focus voltage coming off the EHT board (pin 1, or 8, depending of which version of the schematics you're looking at) and it is varying from 0 to 370V as I turn the pot. The G2 voltage is, of course, running about 370V.

Does this sound like a worn-out cathode? Or a tired HV transformer? Or is there something else which might be preventing it from focus properly?

Thanks,
Darren