Re: Got the V2000 HV blues...

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Aug 05 2010 - 13:41:27 EDT

> Conjecture - with the door on, the temperature inside the cabinet rises,
> and something on the HV board becomes unhappy. Any ideas?

If you feel the problem is thermal in nature, you can use a hair dryer to
heat the HV unit, and see if you can induce a failure. If it fails when you
heat it, you can refine your search by heating individual components.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:03 AM, Rodger Boots <rlboots2@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> (is HV level correct),

Rodger asked a key question. To elaborate, a good way to _trouble shoot_
this issue (recently we seem to be working our way towards "dart throwing")
is to start monitoring the B+ (+95V). This supply is used as feedback to
regulate the HV, and should give a good relative indication of the HV (i.e.
as B+ drifts up/down, so does the HV).

You may not want to sit there and watch your meter for 1/2 an hour, and you
may miss something, so...

Your DSO may not lend itself to this type of monitoring, as they're designed
for much higher sample rates. A "poor man's" DSO would probably work better
in this case. That would be, hook your meter to B+, and record it with a
camera.

The big question is, does the HV supply run away when it fails. If so,
you're more likely looking at regulation issues (e.g. bad zeners, feedback
amplifier(s), etc.). If not, you're more likely looking at passives or
mechanical issues.

Some objective data will help us point you in the right direction.

My 2 credits...

-Mark