Re: Got the V2000 HV blues...

From: Rodger Boots <rlboots2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 17 2010 - 14:51:14 EDT

Congratulations, you fixed it---by installing the fan!

A 1 amp fuse is a 1 amp fuse AT ROOM TEMPERATURE! Even then it will blow
within an hour at 1 amp.

On Aug 17, 2010 1:42 PM, "Total Impulse" <totalimpulse@comcast.net> wrote:

I wanted to post once more to conclude this - although I still don't have a
truly satisfactory explanation...

Once more, I rigged F102 in an external fuse holder and through a DMM to
monitor the current. This time, I used a 1A fuse. Like with the 1.5A fuse
test, current started at 0.56A, and stabilized at 0.61A after about 15
minutes. I let this test run for about 80 minutes with the monitor out of
the cabinet, and the fuse did not blow.

New pc-mount fuse clips arrived, so I replaced the clips for F102. I put in
a brand new 1A slo-blo fuse from a fresh supply, popped the monitor in the
cabinet, and powered it up. Within an hour, the monitor went dark, F102
blown. So, it's probably safe to say that neither the fuse clips nor the
fuse were to blame. So much for that idea. #grumble#

Some other parts had also arrived, so I replaced the BU409 at Q900 with a
new BU407. I didn't have a new 2SD525 for Q903, so I swapped in a good used
one. I also decided to put a 1.5A slo-blo in F102 (per the schematic note
for early versions of this monitor).

The monitor worked fine out of the cab for 90 minutes. I then put it in the
cab, and it worked fine for six hours. The next day, I turned it on again
and let it run for 10 hours. All seems good now.

I don't like the "solution" of over-fusing it, but I'm sick of working on
this thing! What I should really do is rig up some more test leads so that
I can monitor the current through F102 when the monitor is enclosed in the
cabinet.

I also decided to mount an 80mm 12vdc fan behind the monitor to help keep it
a little cooler.

Alan

Bill wrote:

> Although it looks like you identified the problem, verifying the root
cause for th...

--
Total Impulse - Just Having Fun!
Alan Estenson, totalimpulse@comcast.net