Re: Tech: Wells Gardner question (in Tempest)

From: John Robertson <pinball_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon Aug 30 2010 - 00:08:33 EDT

Rodger Boots wrote:

> Certainly sounds like a board problem.
>
> If you have a scope just look at the X & Y outputs on the board. They
> should swing both positive and negative.
>
> Don't have a scope? Use a volunteer. Each output should read near
> zero volts, NOT a volt or so one polarity or another.
>
> Don't have a meter? DUDE!!!

"Use a volunteer."? That's interesting - I always figured the swing on
the board test points was only a couple of volts AC and thus unlikely to
ruffle even the most sensitive volunteer...

Now I have used my own tongue to check if a 9V battery is good - can you
determine AC/DC that way too? Knowing more will help in those situations
where I have forgotten to take my voltmeter on a repair job...and have a
spare person about.

John :-#)#

                 www.flippers.com