Re: Video Goes Away After 1-3 minutes

From: Darren Finck <dgfinck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Aug 31 2010 - 21:54:45 EDT

A 'spot killer' is a circuit in the monitor that cuts of the image (by lowering the intensity to nil) when it senses that there is no input signal (x/y deflection) present. It exists to prevent the monitor from burning a spot in the center of the CRT from being powered on with no input signal. Most vector monitors have one. They typically have a red LED in them that illuminates when the circuit is active. That is, if there is a normal input signal, and the monitor is not trying to 'kill a spot', the LED will be off. If you see a red LED lit on the chassis, the spot killer is active, and you should not expect to see anything (unless you turn the brightness all the way up perhaps). So the question is another way of asking if the LED in your monitor lights up when the image disappears.

'Vector chatter' is the distinctive sound made by the monitor circutry (mostly the deflection coils, I think) when it is working 'normally'. If you monitor is working fine for a couple of minutes before the image disappears, listen to it carefully before and after it disappears to determine if it changes.

These questions are intended to help narrow down the myriad potential sources of the problem. In general, it's nice to first determine if the problem is the monitor or the game PCB. A spare PCB or monitor (or oscilloscope) are useful but not required here. I also like to rule out connector/terminal issues early, as they are common. If it is a monitor problem, you'll want to determine if it's a problem with the power supply, deflection amp(s), spot-killer, or HV circuits.

If the spot killer comes on, it points toward an issue with the deflection amp(s) or the game PCB (or possibly the spot killer circuit itself). If the spot killer doesn't come on, and deflection chatter is still heard, then perhaps the HV or the Z circuits.

df