Re: Tempest issue

From: Kevin Moore <talon.k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 25 2011 - 07:08:22 EST

For the self test switch. Put your meter on Ohms, if it has a continuity
test that's even better. Place one lead on the center (should be ground as
well) and the other lead on the top. close the switch and check to make sure
it get's continuity. Then do the same for the bottom (aka the momentary
position) If that checks out. Then check for continuity from the top of the
switch to R62 on the main board. To make sure there is not a problem in the
plug, or the edge connector. You can then close the switch and check for
continuity from the center to R62.

Another quick test is to clip a lead from a ground lug, to R62 and see if it
goes into test mode. If not then you might have a problem with R9 74ls244
provided the slam switch, and the coin switches work. If those don't work
you might have a problem with 3Khz clock, or the /sinp which is doubtful.

As for the player 1 button not working. Again do continuity checks of the
switch, then to R64 of the aux board.
Could also be a bad pokey @ C/D2 try swapping it with B/C2 if memory serves
that line on B/C2 is not used.

Both problems can be caused by the molex plug going from the door to the
game harness, and the CP to game harness.

As for no blue. That could be a bad Q4 on the game board. You'll need to
measure the voltage on the emitter to ground. If you are getting voltage out
that is comparable with Q2, and Q3 then I would suspect a wiring problem to
the monitor, or the Blue drive on the monitor is not working.

I know you cleaned the interconnects, but did you also re-solder the header
pins. That's the #1 problem with these boards.

Kevin