Re: Assistance with Star Wars w/Clay's ESB Kit --- SW novram clobber?

From: Mark Shostak <shostakmark_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 03 2011 - 12:10:57 EST

What rev is your board?

Your picture cuts off just before the board rev marking, but I believe we
found that it's dependant on the rev. IIRC, A has the cap populated, and B
doesn't, and I happened to see a rev D yesterday, that had both the cap and
R59 populated.

FWIW, just put the cap in and see if that fixes your problem.

Also replace C93, with a 10 or 20uF cap. (or whatever you have around the
house)

You may be thinking too much about what amounts to 29 cents in parts. You
have nothing to lose.

-Mark

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 9:45 PM, Altan (GAPAS) <pinball@aaarfamily.com>wrote:

> [...]
> C94 removes the need for R59?
>
> Is R59 marked on the PCB? I've gone over mine several times and don't see
> where it should go. If I read the "update" correctly, would one need to
> cut a trace?
>
> Here is a pic of my SW PCB. I welcome any comments regarding the location
> of R59.
>
> http://www.aaarpinball.com/Miscellaneous/DSC_1314-low.jpg
>
> Thanks
>
> ... Altan
>

> On Feb 23, 2011, at 6:15 PM, Mark Shostak wrote:
>
> Yes, both of mine have C94. If yours doesn't, that could be an issue.
>
> Also, did you read this ESB upgrade note?
>
> "13. If your STAR WARS main PCB does not have R59 installed and the game
> does not retain high scores or statistics, insert a 10K ohm resistor in
> series between pin 10 of 1E, and at the intersection of R100, CR3, and C94"
> - TM-226 Page 7
>
> -Mark
>

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Altan (GAPAS) <pinball@aaarfamily.com>wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

>> Also, for what it's worth, my Star Wars PCB doesn't have a cap at c94.
>> Looks like there never was one. Anyone have a cap there?
>>
>> Thanks again guys.
>>
>> ... Altan
>>

>> On Feb 22, 2011, at 9:06 PM, Altan (GAPAS) wrote:
>>
>> Clay, Mark, Jess, Joel,
>>
>> You guys are great! I appreciate hearing thoughts from people that know
>> what they are talking about :)
>>
>> My immediate plan is to take the boardset out, remove BOTH 2212s and
>> install sockets. This will make it much easier to goof around with.
>>
>> While I have it out, I'm going to check what is connected to what. Is it
>> safe to assume matched pins on each 2212 should be tied together with the
>> exception of the chip select?
>>
>> Then I'll start looking into the suggested approaches. I will probably
>> start with the 2212 swap --- just because that's easiest. But the others
>> are great items to look into also.
>>
>> ... Altan
>>

>> On Feb 22, 2011, at 1:50 PM, Clay Cowgill wrote:
>>
>> Worth noting that there is a checksum in the data written to the 2212.
>> If the checksum and data do not match, the NVRAM is wiped clean by the code
>> on the next startup. I'm still kinda liking the "more capacitance on
>> +5EAROM" idea for the time being. Of course there might have been a reason
>> why Atari had that value so low (like to prevent the NVRAM from trying to
>> power the rest of the board from +5EAROM back through the address/databus
>> pins or something).
>>
>> I guess you could always just double the value of C93 (for twice the load)
>> and be relatively safe (as opposed to 'too much').
>>
>> Another thought-- do you have *another* new 2212 to try using? Maybe the
>> one you have is just particularly finicky? Or also possible-- maybe your
>> C93 (or C94 mod) has significantly degraded and you're just on the bleeding
>> edge of "good enough"...
>>
>> Mark's idea about the C94 mod is a good one too.

>>> 2. Power Down.... remove the SW NVRAM (on Clay's PCB if I read that
>>> right)
>>> 3. Switch to ESB... turn on game
>>> 4. Put up an ESB high score
>>> 5. Power down... replace the SW NVRAM
>>> 6. Switch to SW (don't forget this or you will have to start over)