RE: Sega G-80 PSU - Audio Amp

From: Zitt Zitterkopf <zittware_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 04 2011 - 19:41:15 EST

The problem with linears is that you're limit to the Pd of the BJT in the circuit. That BJT leads to a lot of wasted heat in the system.
Having said that; I like them too... for less than 1A of draw.

I'm going to not be discouraged and continue the project... so so we are clear; I'm replacing the linear regulator w/ a switcher on both the 5v and 12V rails.
The Transformer and diode bidges will remain. My intent it to have the board somewhat drop in place of the existing board.
I say somewhat; because the power-MOSFETs will need to be bolted to the existing heat sink on both switchers. I'll proably keep the linears for the negative rails.

I imagine one will have to drill and tap the existing heatsink with some new mounting holes for the mosfets.

When I have it done; I'll post the schematics and the boards online for review.

However, my original question hasn't been answered - does anyone know what the audio amp specs are?
Or am I going to have to spice the circuit to get a ballpark?
John