Calling all convergence experts, wizards, and gurus

From: Scott McGovern <m_mcgover_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Mar 13 2011 - 11:45:28 EDT

I've filtered through many previous posts on here, but I am hoping that my questions can elicit some more tutorial like suggestions to fix my convergence issue. I am putting together a 25" "amplifone" vector monitor to go into my Star Wars cockpit de-conversion. Like others have done previously, I am using a 100deg 25" medium resolution tube, wells gardner 6100 yoke, and amplifone deflection/high voltage pcbs. Here is a zoomed out pic of what I've been able to accomplish (all pic links are 800px wide):

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_xUpoDi3iW5A/TXzhVLoALpI/AAAAAAAAAXM/ZZaFJs4CH7s/s800/IMG_5659.JPG

As you can see all three colors are pretty well converged left/right/up/down in the center (although you can see the green starting to diverge towards the bottom in this center close up pic):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_xUpoDi3iW5A/TXzhXESrx0I/AAAAAAAAAXU/8v-Bl80793k/s800/IMG_5661.JPG

I have the red/blue pretty well converged everywhere. However, I cannot get the green to lay on top of the red/blue near the top and bottom edges. In addition to a small vertical offset, the green does not bow inward to the screen's center as much as the red/blue does:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_xUpoDi3iW5A/TXzhVEAv4JI/AAAAAAAAAXI/vDQHCusMe-g/s800/IMG_5662.JPG

The sides are fairly well converged, though (certainly better than the top/bottom):

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_xUpoDi3iW5A/TXzhVEpTPdI/AAAAAAAAAXE/RtI1qd-7ylk/s800/IMG_5666.JPG

OK. So here are the questions. What can I do to get the green to lay on top of the red/blue on the top and bottom edges? I cannot seem to get there by adjusting the convergence rings. And, further yoke movement left/right/up/down from where I am seems to undo the work to get the red/blue to pretty much align well everywhere. I've also tried moving the rings forward/backward relative to the yoke and re-adjusting them, but I can't get that to do the trick either.

At this point, am I just down to working with the strips and chevron magnets (I have a good supply of both)? If so, are there any tutorials or step-by-step instructions for *how* to use these to achieve convergence on the top and bottom? So far, my experiments where I am just moving them around never gets all three colors to align (most of the time it looks like I am undoing what I have). And, both the strips and chevron magnets seem to have more impact on the corners than the center of the edges, which is where my biggest convergence issue is.

Any help or suggestings are greatly appreciated! I want to get this monitor converged and placed back into the cabinet so I can play Star Wars again.

Thanks in advance

Scott